Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Let's Party!

It doesn't take much to get me riled up. Everyone already knew that. I only have an "on" and an "off" switch. I am awake or asleep. I am passionate or I shrug and say "Whatever!" My three priorities are simply God, my family, and my country. Pretty much anything that I get wound up about falls into those three categories. (Trust me, even my love of sports came out of my love for my family.) Some people would put their country before their family, but I am not a Marine, and I am a Mom, so there it is.

Lately, I've been pretty riled up about politics. There were many things to be riled up about including bailouts, an outrageous deficit, and universal health care. I am distraught that there are politicians in the government who forgot that we do not work for them but that they work for us. As Ronald Reagan once said, in his Farewell Address, "`We the People' tell the government what to do; it doesn't tell us. `We the People' are the driver; the government is the car. And we decide where it should go, and by what route, and how fast."

Then, this week it came to light that there was a report published by the Homeland Security Department outlining the threats posed by right wing radicals. Normally, I wouldn't worry about such a thing, until I read their definition of right wing radical. According to the alleged report, a right wing radical could be a person who is a Christian, opposed to illegal immigration, opposed to abortion, and who reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

*(The reason I say alleged report is because I don't know for a fact if the report circulating around the internet is the actual report. It was put on the internet by several news organizations from "both sides of the aisle". I did talk to a couple of law enforcement officers yesterday who told me that the report was from the beginning of the year and being circulated now to keep people from going downtown today.)

When I was growing up, I went to classes in school where they taught us the United States Constitution. I was taught that it was the backbone of our country. I was taught that without it, the United States would cease to exist. This would include the First Amendment that says that I have the freedom to choose to be a Christian without threat of harassment by my government. This would include the Second Amendment. This would include the Tenth Amendment, which specifically says that the states created the federal government.

So, if I wasn't riled up before, I am now. Here's my question. Why aren't you?

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it." There is plenty you can do it about it!
Previously published on coachmomsays.blogspot.com.


First, you need to become, as Reagan said, an informed patriot!

Second, spread the word to anyone who lives in a district where a change can be made in Congress next year. I happen to live in a district with an excellent Congressman (John Carter), one excellent Senator (John Cornyn), and a number of wonderful state legislators.

Third, go to a tea party today. I understand. You have to work. After all, how else is the government going to take half of your paycheck and give it whomever they please? That's why they made the parties in the evening. You don't have to go downtown all day! Please, just go for a small part. If the streets are flooded with people today, Congress will have to sit up and take notice!

God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment